The Best Holiday Pop-Up Bars in LA
'Tis the season for holiday pop-up bars and festive cocktail menus!
It's the most wonderful time of the year… for holiday pop-up bars and festive cocktails! Whether you've been naughty or nice, bars across Los Angeles are welcoming you and your besties with over-the-top decorations and pun-tastic seasonal cocktail menus.
The crew at Big Bar (1929 Hillhurst Ave, Los Angeles 90027) goes all out with their special events, and the holidays are no different. Get into the spirit of the season and warm up with classics and Big Bar favorites:
- House Irish Coffee - Slane Irish Whiskey, Fonté Dark Roast, brown sugar, hand-whipped cream
- House Hot Toddy - choice of bourbon, Scotch or rum; lemon, honey, Angostura Bitters
- Here's To It to Do It - Patron Reposado Tequila, lemon, agave, citrus peel "party," Forbidden Bitters
- To New Friends & Old Foes - Old Forester 86 Bourbon, lemon oleo saccharum, pomegranate, Angostura Bitters, champagne
The Roaring 20s are alive and well at Bathtub Gin (7174 Melrose Ave, Los Angeles 90046), the swanky upstairs speakeasy with live jazz, burlesque and an IG-ready copper tub.
The Bathtub is featuring the Miracle on Melrose, a take on classic mulled wine made with cognac, amaro, St. George Pear Liqueur, baking spices and a red wine reduction. Served hot and warming up spirits in the festively decorated Butterfly Room through December 31.
Death & Co - Season's Greetings
Enjoy Season's Greetings in the Standing Room at Death & Co (818 E 3rd St, Los Angeles 90013), featuring seasonal classics, holiday highballs, nostalgic cocktails and snacks, and cheeky shooters. The dangerously good Vintage Eggnog is made with Knob Creek 100 Bourbon, Courvoisier VSOP, Overproof Jamaican Rum, Whole Egg, Cream and Sugar.
Other holiday cocktails include:
- King Moonracer - Copalli Cask Strength Rum, Browned Butter, Banana, Pineapple, Lemon, Oloroso Sherry
- Yukon Cornelius - Courvoisier VSOP, Douglas Fir Eau de Vie, Green Apple, Lemon, Genepy
- Gingerbread House - Maker's Mark Cask Strength, Blackstrap Rum, Lemon, Ginger, Allspice
- Chamonix (served hot) - Broc Cellars "Amore Rosso" Red Wine, Courvoisier XO, Spiced Pear, Vanilla, Lillet Rouge
- Shirokita Park Swizzle - Suntory Roku Gin, Pear Eau de Vie, Dry Vermouth, Lime, Brucato Chaparral
Fairmont Century Plaza - Swiss Chalet Après-Ski
The Fairmont Century Plaza (2025 Avenue of the Stars, Los Angeles 90067) invites you on a holiday trip to the Alps, no passport needed! The Swiss Chalet Après-Ski Dining Experience features a festive menu of mains, starters, and your choice of cheese or chocolate fondue in beautifully built and chicly appointed wood chalets.
Winter cocktails include:
- Eggnog of the Century - Pendleton Whiskey, Bacardi 8 Rum, Amontillado Sherry, Sugar, Whole Milk, Heavy Cream, Holiday Spices
- Hot Spiked Cider - Pendleton Whiskey, Benedictine, Lemon Juice, Honey, Apple Cider, Bitters
- Espresski Martini - Maestro Dobel Diamante Reposado, Mr. Black, Kahlua, Jaggery, Crème de Cacao, Espresso
- Snow Falls on Manhattan Beach - Blanco Tequila, Crème de Cacao, Lemon, Absinthe
- Saint Martinez - Sweet Gwendoline Gin, Carpano Antica Formula, Maraschino, Fig
- LP x Dita Von Teese - Sweet Gwendoline Gin, Lemon Juice, Laurent-Perrier Champagne
Each chalet fits 8 guests with a 6-person minimum. $125 per person. Open daily from 4-11pm.
Here and Now - Blitzen's (through Jan. 1, 2023)
One of the first LA bars to go all in with an immersive holiday experience, Here and Now (300 S Santa Fe Ave Ste N, Los Angeles 90013) is back with Blitzen's, which is bringing holiday cheer to the Arts District through New Year's Day.
Highlights of the 12-drink cocktail menu include:
- Merry Christmas Ya Filthy Animal - Egg Nog, Chairman's Reserve Spiced Rum, Amontillado Sherry, Cream, Egg
- Little Saint Nick (served hot) - Hot Chocolate, Herradura Tequila, 400 Conejos Mezcal, Mr. Black Coffee Liqueur, Spice
- Welcome to the Party, Pal - Brown Buttered Herradura Tequila, Amaretto, Ginger, Maple, Lime
- You'll Shoot Your Rye Out - Pumpkin Spiced Old Forester 100 Proof Rye, Barolo Chinato, Rainwater Madeira, Demerara, Lemon, Egg White
- Put On Your Yarmulke - Chestnut Infused Bruichladdich Scotch, Demerera
- Mele Kalikimaka - Mount Gay Black Barrel, Rhum JM VO, Overproof Rum, Allspice Dram, Pumpkin Seed & Pistachio Orgeat, Lime
Food specials include Pigs in a Blanket, Latkes, Burgermeister Burger, Santa's Cookies and a Seasonal Pie from @getpiehigh with Peppermint Cream and Oreo Crust.
There's also live music on Wednesdays, Drag Queen Bingo on Thursdays, and DJ KC Bomber & Bong Jovi on Fridays.
Here and Now has once again partnered with PATH (People Assisting the Homeless) to collect toiletry donations. Get a free cup of Blitzen's punch for every quart-sized Ziploc of travel-size toiletries you bring in. For the full list of suggested items, check out this Instagram post.
Book your reservation by calling Here and Now at 213.262.9291 or via OpenTable.
Lilly Rose - The Wayfarer
Lilly Rose, the basement parlor at The Wayfarer DTLA (813 Flower St, Los Angeles 90017) is featuring a holiday cocktail menu that is sure to brighten even the darkest corner of the dimly-lit underground bar. Highlights include:
- Tres Reyes Mago - Tres Generaciones Plata, Pasubio, All Spice, Banana, Honey, Lemon
- Treat Yo Elf - Carrot Cake Tea-Infused Cruzan Rum, Cinnamon Butter, Whip (served hot)
- Gin-gle All the Way - Hendrick’s Gin, Campari, Blood Orange, Cinnamon Apple Syrup, Cranberry, Lemon
- It's Because I'm Green, Isn't It?! - Courvoisier, Fernet Menta, Crème de Cacao, Half & Half, Chocolate
Lost Property - Krampus' Cove (through Dec. 31, 2022)
Following their successful Black Lagoon Halloween pop-up at Lost Property (1704 Vine St, Los Angeles 90028), Erin Hayes and Kelsey Ramage are back with Krampus' Cove. Based on the macabre Alpine legend, the immersive experience upends cheerful holiday traditions with naughty elves, evil snowmen and Krampus himself wandering the bar. The playlist features unexpected versions of your favorite (or least favorite) carols.
Creepy cocktails include:
- Snake Eyes - Old Forester Bourbon, Miso Maple, Amontillado Sherry, Madeira, Bitters
- Violent Night - Bruxo X Mezcal, Purple Yam, Pumpkin Pie Spice, Lemon
- Better Watch Out - Fords Gin, Cranberry Shrub, Pine, Cinnamon, Soda
- Fire & Brimstone (served hot) - St. Remy Signature Brandy, Apple Cider, Blood Orange, Allspice, Vanilla
- Santa's Slay - Vodka, Coconut, Peppermint, Lemon, Amontillado Sherry, Bitters
- Dark Days - Mt. Gay Black Barrel Rum, Banana, Black Sesame, Lime
Priced at $25, tickets are on sale at Eventbrite and include a complimentary welcome cocktail. Two seatings for the two-hour experience, at 5pm and 7:30pm. After the second seating, Lost Property will be open for walk-ins.
The Maybourne Bar - 12 Days of Christmas Cocktails
At The Maybourne Beverly Hills (225 N Canon Dr, Beverly Hills 90210), Beverage Director Chris Amirault is featuring the 12 Days of Christmas Cocktails at The Maybourne Bar, located off the lobby just inside the hotel's main entrance.
The festive drinks range from the spiced Klausmopolitan to a boozy twist on Milk & Cookies:
- Klausmopolitan – Tuesday, December 13
- Pear Necessities – Wednesday, December 14
- Little Saint Nick – Thursday, December 15
- Holiday Glow – Friday, December 16
- World’s Best Cup of Coffee – Saturday, December 17
- Throne of Lies – Sunday, December 18
- Can’t Catch Me – Monday, December 19
- Sugar Plum Fairy – Tuesday, December 20
- Son of a Nutcracker – Wednesday, December 21
- Mele Kalikimaka – Thursday, December 22
- Naughty List – Friday, December 23
- Milk & Cookies – Saturday, December 24
Melrose Umbrella Co
When it rains, they pour at Melrose Umbrella Co (7465 Melrose Ave, Los Angeles 90046), which is featuring seasonal cocktails on its Winter 2022 menu:
- Melrose Mulled Wine (served hot) - Cabernet spiked with Argonaut Brandy, Holiday Spices, Citrus Zest Best Damn
- Eggnog - "Secret Recipe" with Argonaut Brandy, Bacardi 8, Amaro Montenegro, Cinnamon, Nutmeg
- Hot Buttered Scotch (served hot) - Jura 10-Year, Spiced Rum, Allspice, Browned Butter, Brown Sugar, Cinnamon, Nutmeg
- Holly-Woods - Grey Goose Vodka, Demerara Gomme, Orange, Maple, Caraway Seed, Lemon Juice
The Mermaid - The Siren Who Stole Christmas (through Dec. 30, 2022)
Discreetly located in a Little Tokyo strip mall, The Mermaid (428 E 2nd St, Los Angeles 90012) presents The Siren Who Stole Christmas - the tale of Pimu, who ruined the holidays for a ship full of sailors on their way home to their families. Enjoy holiday cocktails with Cihuatán Rum and a packed calendar with DJs spinning a wide range of genres, Tiki Mug Club on Wednesdays, boozy bingo and karaoke nights, and all-day Happy Hour on Sundays. Open daily 5pm to 2am, walk-ins only. No cover.
The Ordinarie - Miracle
Bars around the world are hosting Miracle, a Christmas-themed pop-up cocktail bar that serves holiday cocktails in a festive setting.
The Ordinarie (210 The Promenade N, Long Beach 90802) is making Long Beach merry and bright with a dozen holiday cocktails, including:
- Christmapolitan - Vodka, Elderflower, Dry Vermouth, Spiced Cranberry Sauce, Lime, Rosemary, Absinthe Mist
- Santa's Little Helper - Gin, Spiced Caraway Syrup, Eucalyptus, Sage, Lime, Seltzer
- Christmas Cricket - Blanco Tequila, Vanilla Liqueur, Minty Amaro, Coco Pandan, Cream, Mole Bitters, Dark Chocolate
- Elfing Around - Prosecco, Gin, Mulled Wine Reduction, Grapefruit Shrub, Aromatic Bitters, Orange Bitters
- Holiday Spiked Chai - Brandy, Jamaican Overproof Rum, Coffee Liqueur, Amaretto, Chai, Almond Milk, Egg White, Tiki Bitters, Nutmeg
- Snowball Old-Fashioned - Rye, Gingerbread, Aromatic Bitters, Wormwood Bitters, Orange Essence
- Grandma Got Run Over by a T-Rex - Vodka, Orange Liqueur, Gentian Aperitif, Aloe Vera, Spiced Pomegranate & Grapefruit Mix, Lime, Aromatic Bitters
- Yippie Ki Yay Mother F****r! - Barbados Rum, Rhum Agricole, Trinidad Overproof Rum, Ube & Coconut Orgeat, Acid-Adjusted Pineapple Juice
- Jingle Balls Nog - Cognac, Cream Sherry, Almond Milk, Cream, Egg, Vanilla, Nutmeg
- Hot Buttered Rum (served hot) - Aged Jamaican Rum, Velvet Falernum, Mixed Spiced Butter, Oak Milk, Nutmeg
- Mulled Wine (served hot) - Mulled Red Wine, Tawny Port, Orange Liqueur, Christmas Spices
- Naughty and Nice Shots
"Miraculous" eats include small plates, Gingerbread Cookie Sundae, and the Extra-Ordinarie Christmas Dinner - choice of turkey, ham, or salmon; served with mashed potatoes, green beans, cranberry chutney and gravy.
Thunderbolt x Noble 33 - Hotel Figueroa (December 2022)
One of the most acclaimed new LA bars of the last few years, Thunderbolt is collaborating with Noble 33 for a holiday pop-up at Bar Alta, the secret bar at the landmark Hotel Figueroa (939 S. Figueroa St, Los Angeles 90015) in Downtown LA.
Running on select dates through December, the Après-Ski themed experience offers an amuse bouche and omakase cocktail tasting. Tickets are $125 and on sale at Eventbrite.