One of L.A.'s most popular holiday traditions is ice skating at the various outdoor rinks throughout the city. Take advantage of the beautiful Los Angeles winter weather and get a tan as you skate on a sunny afternoon. Or you can bundle up and enjoy the crisp night air while skating under the stars. Just remember the rules of the rink and enjoy the holidays.
The Los Angeles Kings are hosting their popular holiday outdoor attraction, LA Kings Holiday Ice, at three locations. In addition to the flagship location at L.A. LIVE, Holiday Ice outdoor rinks are being hosted at Westfield Topanga in Woodland Hills (Nov. 17, 2017 - Jan. 14, 2018) and The Pike Outlets in Long Beach (Nov 17 - Dec. 15, 2017).
Tickets start at $20 per person for General Admission (includes skate rental), with $5 discounts for seniors (62 and older), kids age 6 and under, and military (with ID, up to 4 guests). Fast Pass and group options are available.
Every holiday season, Downtown Santa Monica transforms the corner of 5th Street and Arizona Avenue into Ice at Santa Monica. The 8,000 square-foot ice skating rink brings a winter wonderland to the beachside community and has become a beloved annual tradition. Admission is $15 for all-day skating, including skate rental. The Randy Gardner School of Skating provides ice skating lessons with experienced professionals for skaters of all skill levels.
Priced at $300, an event cabana rental gives you exclusive use of one 20'x20' cabana for two hours. Cabanas can comfortably accommodate up to 25 people and are equipped with three tables, tablecloths, and 16 chairs. Add a party package to your event cabana rental and let the Ice at Santa Monica staff handle the details. Party packages may be added up to 48 hours in advance of your event and will be charged at a rate of $150 per party package on the day of your event. Each party package includes:
- 12 Admissions/Skate Rentals
- Cups, plates, napkins, candles (for birthdays)
- 2 large 1-topping pizzas
- 2 beverage selections (soda, juice or water)
For more information, call the Ice team at 310.260.1199.
Celebrating its 20th anniversary, Holiday Ice Rink Pershing Square kicked off its 2017-18 season on Nov. 16 and runs daily through Jan. 15, 2018. Framed by skyscrapers and adorned with festive holiday lights, L.A.'s largest outdoor ice skating rink spans 7,200 square feet and welcomes more than 54,000 skaters and 450,000 spectators annually.
General admission for each one-hour session is $13, including figure or hockey skate rental. Group rates and private party options are available. Hours and times vary by day. To purchase advance tickets and for more info, visit www.holidayicerinkdowntownla.com or call (213) 624-4289. A portion of proceeds will benefit the City of Los Angeles Department of Recreation & Parks. Go Metro to the Pershing Square Station and receive a $1 skating session discount.
Free special events this season include:
- DJ Spotlights - Get your skating groove on with DJ HowLy, who mixes old school turntablism with cutting-edge new school vibes. The popular series continues throughout the season on select Thursdays from 7-9:30 p.m.
- Arabian Nights - Guests will imagine they're on a magic carpet ride during Disney’s ALADDIN theme skate, taking place every Wednesday from 5:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. New for this season, the unique event will feature special purple rink lighting and music from the ALADDIN Original Broadway Cast Recording.
- Learn to Curl - Channel your inner Winter Olympian at this beginner's curling pop-up hosted by the Hollywood Curling Club. The curling pop-up is taking place from 8:30-9:30 a.m. on Dec. 17 and Jan. 14. Drop in for a few minutes to learn the basics, or stick around for the full hour to get more in-depth instruction. Wear warm, comfortable clothing and flat-soled shoes. Admission is free. Advance sign-up required.
- Silent Skate Party - Holiday Ice Rink presents its Silent Skate Party on Thursday, Nov. 30 and Wednesday, Dec. 13. Choose from three different channels of music and dance/skate the night away! Costumes are encouraged and skaters of all ages are welcome. Two sessions, 7-8 p.m. and 8:30-9:30 p.m.
- Polar Bear Skate - One of the city's most popular New Year's Day traditions, the Polar Bear Skate is L.A.'s version of Canada’s “Polar Bear Plunge,” taking place from 2:30-3:30 p.m. on Jan. 1, 2018, Skaters are invited to dress in their chicest, wildest and most inventive beach attire. Prizes awarded for theme, originality and overall appearance. Spectators pick the winner!
Embark on an International Christmas Expedition at the all-new CHILL at the Queen Mary, featuring the country's first-ever Ice Adventure Park and a tribute to holiday traditions from around the world, showcasing food, music and live entertainment. The 38,000 square-foot Ice Adventure Park features Ice Skating and the Ice Track, Ice Bumper Cars, Ice Tricycles, a Zip Line, Ice Shuffleboard, a two-story, 140 foot-long Ice Tubing slide and much more.
The Rink in Downtown Burbank returns to the corner of Third Street and Orange Grove Avenue, which is transformed each year into a magical winter wonderland for skaters of all ages to enjoy. The Rink in Downtown Burbank is located just steps from hundreds of shops and restaurants that are decked out for the holiday season, making it a joyful family outing and memorable getaway. Hours are 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. daily, extended to 11:30 p.m. on Friday and Saturday nights. Admission is $10 for unlimited skating (no re-entry). Skate rental is $6, and Bobby/Tommy Skating Aid rental is $8.
- Opening Day Special - on Thursday, Dec. 14, enjoy $10 unlimited skating all day and FREE skate rental (Burbank residents only).
- Learn to Skate - lessons every Saturday during the season. Classes are $25 each including skate rental and same-day session at 10 a.m. From 9-9:25 a.m. classes are dedicated to kids (5-15 years old), and 9:25-9:50 a.m. are for adults (16 years old and older).
- Curling Pop-Up - learn to curl with Hollywood Curling from 9–9:50 a.m. on Sundays, Dec. 24, 31 and Jan. 7. Admission is $15, no experience necessary.