One of the most popular artworks on view at The Broad museum in Downtown L.A., Yayoi Kusama’s installation Infinity Mirrored Room – The Souls of Millions of Light Years Away is a mirror-lined chamber populated with a dazzling and seemingly vast array of LED lights, creating a sense of limitless space.
In March 2018, The Broad debuted a second Infinity Mirror installation by Kusama, Longing for Eternity. The experience is described by The Broad: "From outside Longing for Eternity, viewers can peer through porthole-like windows into the dazzling, LED light–filled hexagonal chamber. … Through extreme repetition, both types of Kusama’s Infinity Mirror Rooms create phenomenological experiences that provoke a sense of boundlessness and transcendence."
In a Q&A with the artist, Kusama says that the concept of "infinity" has always been part of her worldview: "Eternal unlimited universe, love for humanity, and longing for peace in the world—these concepts become increasingly serious through the development of my philosophy of life and art."
Kusama adds, "I integrate my philosophy about the eternity of inter-relationships into my artworks. You can share the information, but the experience is your own. I wish you will come to experience my artwork at The Broad."
Yayoi Kusama's Infinity Rooms can be viewed at The Broad for no additional charge, but they do require a separate sign up onsite at the museum. Reservations are extremely limited and cannot be made in advance.
According to The Broad website, to view Yayoi Kusama's Infinity Mirror Rooms:
- Obtain an admission ticket (either a free general admission ticket or a special exhibition ticket) by booking online on The Broad’s website, or by joining The Broad’s onsite standby line in the morning (the earlier, the better), and enter the museum. For the best chance to view the Infinity Mirror Rooms, make your ticket reservation for a timeslot in the morning or in the very early afternoon.
- Once inside the museum, visit the iPad kiosk in the lobby to join the first-come, first-served virtual queue for one or both rooms. You will need to enter your mobile phone number and first name. You will receive an approximate wait time.
- Enjoy the rest of the museum! You will receive a text message 10 minutes before your turn so that you have time to make your way to the Infinity Mirror Room(s). If you joined the queue for both rooms, you will receive two separate texts.
- Follow the instructions included in the text message and proceed to the indicated Infinity Mirror Room. Ask any Visitor Services Associate (VSA) for help or directions.
- Check in with the VSA at the Infinity Mirror Room and wait in a short line for your turn.