Job Title: Staff Accountant
Department: Finance & Accounting
Reports to Job Title: Director, Accounting
Job Summary: The staff accountant will assist in a variety of financial projects and activities, including financial audit and analysis, preparing journal entries, monthly general ledger closing, reconciliation of credit card charges and other responsibilities.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS are listed in order of importance:
1. Assist in the monthly general ledger closing process including various account reconciliations and analyses. Prepare journal entries for review by Director of Accounting. 20%
2. Assist in managing the administration of L.A. Tourism’s banking relationships and accounts including monthly preparation of various reconciliations. Prepare and audit bank account deposits. Administer wire transfers as needed including reconciling against invoices, securing approvals and ensuring international offices have sufficient funds. 20%
3. Oversee administration of the departmental credit cards, including proper coding and allocation by funding source. Prepare monthly reconciliations of all credit card charges and collaborate with Departments to address any issues. 20%
4. Facilitate the timely transfer of funds between L.A. Tourism and affiliated organizations including preparing appropriate documentation and securing approvals and signatures from board members. 10%
5. Assist with external audits by preparing audit schedules and providing supporting documentation to auditors. 10%
6. Assist with external reporting by supplying the appropriate documentation and running reports and preparing analyses as requested. 5%
7. Assist with departmental team members with questions on the GL coding, project codes and funding allocations. 5%
8. Assist with Accounts Receivable monitoring and follow-up. 5%
9. Perform other duties as assigned. 5%
OTHER JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
10. Assist with special projects
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
High School Diploma and a minimum 1-3+ years’ related professional experience required. Bachelor’s Degree with an emphasis in accounting strongly preferred. Prior experience in finance and accounting required; previous experience working directly with or in a nonprofit organization strongly preferred.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES REQUIRED:
1. Basic understanding of finance and accounting principles.
2. Good working knowledge of expense coding, accounts payable, general ledger/chart of accounts and expense report preparation/management.
3. Basic understanding of accounting functions and workflows.
4. Ability to effectively multi-task, prioritize and manage multiple, concurrent projects.
5. Ability to grasp concepts quickly and apply an analytical approach to projects, understanding the expected end-result.
6. Ability to work with other internal departments to exchange data and best practices maximizing efficiency.
7. Exceptional attention to detail.
8. Must be proficient in MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) required.
9. Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
10.Dependable, great attitude, highly motivated and a team player.
11. Possess strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
12. Ability to multi-task and meet multiple deadlines.
13. Ability to communicate effectively across various departments.
14. Ability to work in a changing environment.
To apply, please email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com, noting the position title in the subject line. Due to the volume of applications that we receive, we are unable to respond to each individual submission and cannot accept phone inquiries. We appreciate your understanding and look forward to hearing from you.