Job Title: Research Associate
Department: Tourism Insights
Reports to Job Title: Manager, Tourism Insights
Job Summary: Reporting to the Manager, Tourism Insights, the Research Associate will provide support to the Tourism Insights team by conducting data analysis, supporting strategic planning and business development through departmental research and will carry out administrative functions. The ideal candidate must be detailed oriented and able to manage multiple projects at once.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS are listed in order of importance:
1. Data Analysis / Management 35%
A. Data Analysis: Examine available data sets, develop and share insights to help marketing efforts under the direction of the Tourism Insights Manager. These include:
• Hotel performance data
• Visitor Profile data
• Survey data
• Airline data
• Visitation and impact of tourism data
• Credit Card data
• Alternative accommodation’s data and market trends (Airbnb, etc.)
• Employ data tracking tools as they emerge and evolve
B. Database Management: Update databases; identify ways to improve data warehousing and maintenance. Includes utilizing data visualization tools such as Tableau and exploring ways for data integration across different tools and platforms
C. discoverlosangeles.com/research: Manage content and ensure that Research section of website remains up to date.
Fact-Checking: Work with all Los Angeles Tourism departments to ensure that numbers are accurately reported.
2. Support Strategic Planning / Business Development 35%
A. Departmental Research: Includes working closely with the Tourism Insights Manager and other departments and internal teams to provide guidance and assistance with identifying and accessing Tourism Insights data.
B. Industry Data: Monitor trends on the tourism industry, other tourism destinations, and marketing and report on findings.
3. Administrative Duties 5%
A. Data entry, schedule meetings, printing materials, etc. as required by the Research department.
B. Internal & External Presentations: Create/update research presentations for internal and external groups.
4. Other Duties as Assigned 5%
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
High School Diploma required, bachelor’s degree strongly preferred. A minimum of 1-3 years of related professional experience required. Prior experience in research or related field preferred. General knowledge of the function of a non-profit association preferred.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES REQUIRED:
• Experience in market research or research/data analysis in a relevant industry desired
• Proficient in data processing, analysis and reporting strongly preferred. This includes building and maintaining databases, graphing data, creating slides and narrative documents that clearly communicate the insights and marketing recommendations.
• Experience and/or interest in learning new data tools and software. Proficiency in using Tableau desired.
• Proficient in in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
• Strong written and verbal communications skills. Able to translate findings into digestible, insightful key findings for top-line reports and verbal explanations for ad hoc assignments.
• Ability to take ownership over projects and meet deadlines.
• Ability to work collaboratively with different teams and independently.
• Organized, detail oriented and excellent time management skills.
• Flexible with changing priorities.
• Demonstrated interest in the hospitality/tourism industry.
• Ability to travel on occasion to local training or seminars.
To apply, please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, noting the position title in the subject line. Due to the volume of applications that we receive, we are unable to respond to each individual submission and cannot accept phone inquiries. We appreciate your understanding and look forward to hearing from you.