LOS ANGELES TOURISM SHINES A LIGHT ON L.A.’S FABLED MAGIC HOUR
New Digital Campaign Features Streaming Sunsets, Live Q&A’s, Los Angeles Playlists, Puzzles of L.A. Landmarks and More
LOS ANGELES (April 15, 2020) – Known in Hollywood for the captivating period just around sunset when the sun casts golden hues of warm light in a stop-in-your-tracks intoxicating way, “magic hour” has always been a little more special in Los Angeles, luring filmmakers, artists and visitors to chase, capture and sing about it. Beginning today, everyone is welcome to (virtually) join Magic Hour, thanks to a new campaign from the Los Angeles Tourism & Convention Board. Daily, Los Angeles Tourism will celebrate the people and places that make L.A. magical, featuring live streaming sunsets from Venice Beach, a virtual location tour with a professional location scout, a local photographer’s tips on capturing L.A.’s epic light and more on its social channels and at discoverlosangeles.com/magichour.
“Collectively, we are on our couches, at our kitchen tables, peering out our windows and dreaming for the day we are on the other side of this pandemic. Whether a form of escapism or driving inspiration for a future trip, wanderlust is at an all-time high, and we want to bring a taste of Los Angeles to these dreamers while also providing the opportunity to learn something new,” stated Don Skeoch, chief marketing officer for Los Angeles Tourism. “So many of our museums, fitness studios and chefs are developing incredible virtual content and we want to shine a light on their great work while also celebrating something so special in L.A. – Magic Hour.”
Daily, Los Angeles Tourism will livestream the sunset from Hotel Erwin in Venice Beach beginning at 6:30 p.m. PST. While watching the sun sink into the glittering Pacific Ocean, followers of @discoverLA’s social channels will be invited to recreate cocktail and other recipes from the local restaurant community or listen to the sounds of L.A. via curated playlists.
Weekly, Los Angeles Tourism will present interactive Magic Hour experiences with artists, musicians, chefs, mixologists, photographers and other magic makers hosted by @discoverLA on Instagram, Facebook and Zoom. First up is a Google Earth Film Location Scout of L.A. locations made famous by such films as La La Land and Blade Runner hosted by professional location scout Tristan Daoussis on April 22, followed by:
- Magic lessons on April 27 from Justin Willman, a magician and comedian who stars in and created “Magic for Humans” on Netflix
- Interactive coloring session on April 29 where artist George Townley will demonstrate how to illustrate L.A.’s light
- Movie trivia with tour guides from Warner Bros. Studio Tour Hollywood
- Discussion on L.A.’s winemaking history, paired with sips from Angeleno Wine Co
- More, to be announced weekly
To experience a little bit of L.A.’s magic any time of day, visitors to discoverlosangeles.com/magichour can:
- Piece together digital puzzles made from artist George Townley’s vibrant illustrations of Los Angeles icons including the LAX Theme Building, Griffith Observatory and the Stahl House
- Get a suggested 50 classic L.A. movies to stream
- Take a livestream of The Petersen Automotive Museum’s famous vault, a virtual tour of L.A.’s first UNESCO World Heritage Site – the Hollyhock House, experience an immersive environment of light and sound in the spirit of Yayoi Kusama’s Infinity Mirrored Room – The Souls of Millions of Light Years Away courtesy of The Broad, and participate in other cultural experiences
- Try new mindful and fitness experiences, like The Gentle Barn’s meditation with an animal or VolleyCamp Hermosa’s webinars to improve beach volleyball skills from the living room
- Rock out to a series of L.A. playlists on Spotify
- Download backgrounds for virtual meetings or happy hours
Jamie Simpson / firstname.lastname@example.org
ABOUT LOS ANGELES & LOS ANGELES TOURISM
Los Angeles Tourism & Convention Board (Los Angeles Tourism) is the official non-profit destination marketing and sales organization for Los Angeles and the ultimate resource for where to stay and play in the L.A. area.
Los Angeles is a dynamic, ever-evolving destination – where diversity thrives, and everyone is welcome. Discover the true L.A. by exploring its more than 30 culturally rich neighborhoods, each one offering a distinct vibe. L.A. is home to more than 300 days of warm sunshine, 75 miles of idyllic shoreline, more museums and performing arts venues than any other U.S. city, and an innovative culinary scene led by influential tastemakers. A global creative capital and the epicenter of the sports universe, L.A. presents limitless possibilities for its more than 50 million annual visitors. For more information, visit discoverlosangeles.com, follow at facebook.com/DiscoverLosAngeles, or @discoverLA on Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest.