LOS ANGELES TIMES FOOD BOWL PRESENTS:
Mesamérica L.A. & DFiesta
WHAT: Join us for Opening Night of the 2019 Los Angeles Times Food Bowl.
Mesamérica L.A. with Enrique Olvera
The evening will begin with Mesamérica L.A. at the Million Dollar Theatre in downtown Los Angeles. Mesamérica L.A. is the first incarnation of chef Enrique Olvera’s celebrated symposium to be held outside of Mexico. Olvera and L.A. Times Food Editor Peter Meehan have curated a program that explores the culinary and cultural interconnectedness of Mexico City and Los Angeles to celebrate the sister cities’ 50-year anniversary. Art, architecture, identity and the meaning of tacos will be explored through talks, video and song.
Following Mesamérica L.A., a DFiesta progressive party will take place next door at Grand Central Market and at the nearby La Cita Bar. Most of the market will feature for-purchase chef collaborations, roving Mariachi bands and other Mexico City-inspired merriment. Purchase of a DFiesta ticket will include access to a curated section of the market featuring special one-night-only offerings from the restaurants listed below. The DFiesta will continue with post-reception cocktails and entertainment at La Cita Bar, just south of the market.
Tickets and additional information available here.
● Mesamérica L.A. tickets are $35 each.
● Mesamérica L.A. + DFiesta tickets are $85 each.
WHO: Mesamérica L.A.
● Enrique Olvera – Chef & Owner of Pujol (Mexico City)
● Peter Meehan - Food Editor, Los Angeles TImes
● Norma Listman – Chef & Co-Owner of Masala y Maíz (Mexico City)
● Alonso Ruvalcaba – Writer, Food Critic and Editor of HojaSanta Magazine (Mexico City)
● Carlos Salgado – Chef & Owner, Taco María
● Javier Garciadiego – Architect at Infonavit's Research Center for Sustainable Development (Mexico City)
● Gustavo Arellano – Features Writer at Los Angeles Times
● Rubén Ortiz - Artist and Curator
● Jesse Lerner – Filmmaker and Writer
Food Collaborations by:
● Ditroit (Olvera’s forthcoming L.A. taqueria) x China Cafe
● Don Vergas Maricos (Mexico City) x The Oyster Gourmet (featuring Sanctuary Oysters by Sol Azul)
● Los Panchos (Mexico City) x Sari Sari Store and Petty Cash Taqueria
● Guerrilla Tacos
● Horse Thief BBQ
WHEN/WHERE: Tuesday, April 30, 2019
Mesamérica L.A. @ Million Dollar Theatre
307 S. Broadway
Los Angeles, CA 90012
DFiesta @ Grand Central Market
317 S. Broadway
Los Angeles, CA 90012
DFiesta @ La Cita Bar
336 S. Hill St.
Los Angeles, CA 90013
About Los Angeles Times Food Bowl:
Los Angeles Times Food Bowl is an annual, month-long festival celebrating the city’s dynamic food scene. Spanning the entire month of May, Food Bowl features many of the chefs and restaurants that have helped put Los Angeles on the map as a premier dining destination alongside world-renowned chefs in rare local appearances at hundreds of extraordinary events. Los Angeles Times Food Bowl charity partners are L.A. Regional Food Bank, Food Forward and Midnight Mission. Sponsors include Citi, Jose Cuervo, SOL, Topo Chico, Aeromexico and Mural Agua Fresca. For more information, please visit lafoodbowl.com and connect on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram @ LAfoodbowl (#LAfoodbowl #31DaysOfFood).
CONTACT: Innovative PR for LA Times Food Bowl