16007 Crenshaw Boulevard, Torrance, 90506
The El Camino College Studio Jazz Band will present a swinging night of straight-ahead big band jazz at 8 p.m. November 30 in Haag Recital Hall.
The El Camino College Studio Jazz Band is a preparatory jazz ensemble. The group focuses on introducing intermediate music students to the standard big band repertoire, section playing, ensemble blend, and developing stylistic jazz interpretation skills.
Under the direction of critically acclaimed saxophonist and faculty member David Sills, the fall concert will feature a mix of Great American Songbook standards, as well as classic and modern jazz tunes. Arrangements and compositions include artists Bobby Timmons, Sammy Nestico, John Clayton, Billy Strayhorn, Dizzy Gillespie, and more!
A South Bay native, Sills has established himself as one of the premier jazz saxophonists in Southern California. He has a bachelor’s degree in saxophone performance from California State University, Long Beach and a master’s degree in jazz studies from the Manhattan School of Music in New York City. Sills has toured throughout the U.S., Europe and Asia with his band, the David Sills Quartet, in addition to performing with ECC alumnus David Benoit, The Acoustic Jazz Quartet, Line Up and The Liam Sillery Quintet.
Tickets for the concert are $10 each and may be purchased online at www.centerforthearts.org , by phone at 310-329-5345 or toll-free at 800-832-ARTS. The Ticket Office is open Monday through Friday 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Campus parking is $3. The El Camino College Haag Recital Hall is located at 16007 Crenshaw Boulevard, Torrance.
1815 Hawthorne Boulevard, Redondo Beach, 90278
6:30pm to 8:30pm
Celebrate the Holiday Season with the South Bay Galleria Kids Club at its Merry Marionettes Christmas Extravaganza!
• Join the South Bay Galleria Kids Club as it kicks off the holiday season with a special Merry Marionettes Christmas Show on Tuesday, December 1 at 6:30 p.m., located in the mall’s food court on level 3.
• This holiday celebration will exude Christmas cheer as children of all ages are mesmerized by a special parade of festive puppets.
• Parents can sign their kids up to become members of the Kids Club to receive information about monthly entertainment, special discounts and more on the South Bay Galleria website.
• This exclusive club provides youngsters with fun and educational entertainment, puppet shows and magicians, special discounts, and raffle prizes.
• South Bay Galleria is located at 1815 Hawthorne Boulevard in the heart of the South Bay. Information is available by calling (310) 371-7546 or visiting South Bay Galleria.
DATE/TIME: Tuesday, December 1 at 6:30 p.m.
LOCATION: South Bay Galleria
Food Court Level 3
1815 Hawthorne Boulevard
Redondo Beach, Calif.
INFORMATION: (310) 371-7546
398 W. 6th Street, San Pedro, CA 90731
Since 1996, both locals and cruise-ship tourists from the nearby Port of Los Angeles have flocked to the area to experience San Pedro’s tight-knit artists’ community, impromptu street performances and conversation-worthy art — all classic ingredients for a great art walk. The tour's 30-odd participating galleries include contemporary and textile art.
Abbot Kinney Blvd. and California St., Los Angeles, CA
6:00pm to 10:00pm
(DEC. 4) Local merchants on or near Abbot Kinney, the thoroughfare that runs diagonally through Venice, come together every month to feature the best artists, gifts, products and music in the area. Local charities benefit as art junkies, couples and families descend on the always funky beach community. And, of course, beverages are available.