The Director, Tourism will report to the Vice President, Tourism and be responsible for helping to ensure that LA Tourism’s annual tourism plan is achieved. This individual will develop and execute a domestic tourism plan focused on driving visitation and revenue to Los Angeles as well as oversee activity in key international maintenance markets. The ideal candidate will have a thorough understanding and knowledge of the destination and domestic and international markets as well as DMO and/or tourism industry marketing experience.
• Help to plan, develop and implement the annual tourism plan in accordance with the organization’s overarching strategic business objectives.
• Drive the development of international and domestic tourism business through travel trade programs.
• Manage staff/representatives and activity in LA Tourism’s key maintenance markets (Mexico, Japan, and Korea).
• Develop strategy and oversee implementation of LA Tourism’s domestic travel trade programs including trade shows, local sales calls and FAM visits.
• Leverage Brand USA, Visit California and industry association opportunities.
• Assist with the development of LA Tourism’s international MICE strategy.
• Collaborate with LA Tourism internal departments to ensure integration of tourism activities.
• Develop travel trade content for web, newsletters, collateral, and presentations.
• Develop strategy and plan for travel agency training.
• Support Los Angeles World Airports contract to ensure deliverables are achieved.
• Work in partnership with airlines serving LAX, especially those with new and/or expanded routes.
• Assist with general LAWA marketing and successfully communicate key messages to travel trade.
• Help evaluate, track and report return on tourism programs to ensure that plan, budget and results are aligned.
• Work with Vice President, Tourism to support strategic direction and priorities.
• Interact with industry peers to identify, implement and improve on best practices.
• Oversee LA-based in-market managers and day-to-day activity.
KEY SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
• 8-10 years in the tourism industry directly related to destination and/or tourism sales and marketing, with at least 5 years experience in a leadership role with proven track record.
• Prior international tourism or similar industry experience required.
• Strong communication and public speaking skills.
• Ability to manage multiple projects in a fast paced environment.
• Superior independent work capability as well as ability to work as part of a team.
• Excellent decision-making, problem solving, time management and organizational skills.
• Strong attention to detail and deadlines.
• Solid understanding of Los Angeles and all it offers.
• Ability to maintain a pulse on the latest industry trends.
• Ability to travel
Please submit resumes to:
Director of Human Resources