In Los Angeles, driving is more than just a way to get from point A to point B; it's a way of life. Maybe it's the LA weather. Or it could be a result of all the songs about LA's famous streets: Duran Duran's "Drive By," Sheryl Crow's "All I Wanna Do" and more.
For visitors, one of the best ways to get to know the city is to drive, soaking in the sights and sounds along the way. Of course, in addition to LA's famous sunny weather, the city also fosters a green climate, so don't forget to rent an eco-friendly vehicle to enjoy the best of these scenic drives. Shades ready? Top down? Get ready to drive...
Jay Leno takes us on a tour of LA below as he cruises famed Mulholland Drive in his Mercedes SLS AMG and heads down to Sunset Boulevard. The road was named after William Mulholland, the head engineer who oversaw the construction of the massive aqueduct that brought water and subsequent growth to the city after being completed in 1913.
Leno compares Mulholland Drive to the Nürburgring, a motorsport race track around the village of Nürburg, Germany. Simply known as "The Ring" by enthusiasts, it is widely considered the toughest, most dangerous and most demanding purpose-built race track in the world.
- Sunset Strip from Crescent Heights Boulevard to Doheny Drive
- Hollywood Boulevard from La Brea Avenue to Vine Street
- Wilshire Boulevard from Downtown LA to the Pacific Coast Highway
Read more about Scenic Drives in the City of Angels.
- Pacific Coast Highway from Santa Monica to Zuma Beach
- North Sepulveda Boulevard from Redondo Beach to Manhattan Beach
- Palos Verdes Drive from Palos Verdes Estates to San Pedro
Read more about Scenic Drives on the Coast.