In Los Angeles, summer means free outdoor concerts are in full force, beckoning visitors to get outside and enjoy LA’s thriving music scene. From blowout shows to Sunday afternoons in the park, the following free events in Los Angeles will keep you tapping your feet. So get out there, enjoy the weather and tune into the music.
92. Farm-fresh summer music at Farmers Market: It's all about wholesome family fun at this annual summer music series. Combine great food from LA's historic Farmers Market with groups hailing from traditions such as Latin jazz, blues, rock and more. Thursdays and Fridays, May 24 - Sep. 6, 2013.
93. Grand Performances at California Plaza: At lunchtime on Fridays, hundreds of Angelenos put down their work and take a cultural break with a bit of fresh air and music. Additionally, Grand Performances presents an array of free performing arts events in the evenings — music, dance and theater — as multicultural as their audience, giving local talent a chance to shine. Jun. 21 - Aug. 24, 2013.
94. Ford Amphitheatre Summer Season: Imagine watching dance, comedy, film and music performances in the midst of California weather, cypresses and chaparral, courtesy of the Los Angeles County Arts Commission. May to mid-October.
95. Pershing Square Summer Concert Series: In the high-rise heart of Downtown is a palm tree oasis known as Pershing Square, where the summertime brings neighbors, tourists and professionals together for lunchtime concerts on Wednesdays, alternative rock on Thursday nights, films on Friday nights and national touring acts on Saturday nights. Last three weeks in July though the first three weeks of August.
96. Live at Hollywood & Highland: This summer series gives you a chance to hobnob with the coolest cats of jazz at Hollywood & Highland while sampling the gifts of Bacchus and helping to end world hunger, all at the same time. Although it is a free event, wine tasting donations benefit Project Angel Food. Mid-July through late August on Tuesdays.
97. Twilight Concerts at the Santa Monica Pier: Hawaii, Jamaica, Argentina, Africa…these are just a handful of the exotic locations represented by the annual Twilight Concerts at the historic Santa Monica Pier. The 2013 summer season starts on July 11, and continues through September.
98. Summer Sunset Music Festival in Culver City: The sun’s not the only thing that’s going down in Culver City during the summer. When the day ends, the music begins, bringing you an eclectic array of musical offerings including classic rock, bluegrass and even zydeco. Thursdays in July and August.
99. Summer music at the Hammer Museum: Summer nights are a great time to catch live acts performing at the Hammer Museum’s outdoor courtyard. In the past, bands such as Sea Wolf and Tokyo Police Club have played to a packed crowd. Rock shows take place Thursday nights, with jazz on Fridays. The 2013 dates haven’t been posted yet, but check the site for updates.
100. Saturdays Off the 405 at the Getty Center: The Getty Center courtyard comes alive with this popular series, which boasts incredible nighttime views of the city to go with the eclectic sounds. Grab a drink at the cash bar and then check out the musical guests. May 18 - Sep. 21, 2013.