In Los Angeles, summer means that free outdoor concerts are in full force, beckoning visitors to get outside and enjoy L.A.’s thriving music scene. From blowout shows to Sunday afternoons in the park, the following free events in Los Angeles will keep you tapping your feet. So get out there, enjoy the weather and tune into the music.
92. Farm-fresh summer music at Farmers Market: It's all about wholesome family fun at this annual summer music series. Combine great food from L.A.'s historic Farmers Market with eclectic evening concerts on Friday nights, May 22 - Sept. 2, 2016.
93. Grand Performances at California Plaza: Grand Performances presents an array of free performing arts events on weekend nights — music, dance and theater — that are as multicultural as their audience, giving rising stars a chance to shine.
94. Ford Theatres JAM Sessions: This interactive series invites participants of all ages and skill levels to sing, dance and play along with professional artists. JAM Sessions at the Ford are pre-empted in 2015 while the venue undergoes renovations, but from July through November they are hitting the road in communities throughout L.A., including Newhall, San Fernando, Watts, Pomona, East LA, Hacienda Heights and Rowland Heights.
95. Pershing Square Summer Concert Series: In the high-rise heart of Downtown is a palm tree oasis known as Pershing Square, where the summertime brings neighbors, tourists and professionals together for lunchtime concerts on Wednesdays, salsa concerts on Thursdays, rock and pop Saturday nights, and films on Friday nights.
96. Wine & Jazz Summer Series: This classy summer series gives you a chance to hobnob with the coolest cats of jazz at Hollywood & Highland, while sampling the gifts of Bacchus and helping to end world hunger, all at the same time. Although it is a free event, wine tasting donations and light appetizers ($10) benefit Project Angel Food. Produced by KJAZZ 88.1 FM, the Tuesday night free concerts feature a variety of jazz styles, including the season finale on July 28 with legendary conguero, Poncho Sanchez. June 30 - July 28, 2015.
97. Twilight Concerts at the Santa Monica Pier: This popular concert series is constantly reinventing itself, but count on a diverse line-up of talent including reggae, rock, indie pop, R&B and even a little 80s. The 2015 summer season starts on July 9.
98. Levitt Pavilion Summer Music Festival: This family-friendly concert series is held throughout the summer at the Levitt Pavilion in the heart of Pasadena. The series features everything from jazz to Latin Pop to Jambo. The 2015 series kicks off on June14th with Sheila E. and Pete Escovedo.
99. Summer music at the Hammer Museum: Summer nights are a great time to catch live acts performing at the Hammer Museum’s outdoor courtyard. In the past, bands such as Sea Wolf and Tokyo Police Club have played to a packed crowd. Shows feature a mix of KCRW DJs, jazz and special guests. July 9 - July 30, 2015.
100. Saturdays Off the 405 at the Getty Center: The Getty Center courtyard comes alive with this popular series, which boasts incredible nighttime views of the city to go with the eclectic sounds. Grab a drink at the cash bar and then check out the musical guests. The 2015 season kicks off on May 16.