In Los Angeles, summer means that free outdoor concerts are in full force, beckoning visitors to get outside and enjoy LA’s thriving music scene. From blowout shows to Sunday afternoons in the park, the following free events in Los Angeles will keep you tapping your feet. So get out there, enjoy the weather and tune into the music.
92. Farm-fresh summer music at Farmers Market: It's all about wholesome family fun at this annual summer music series. Combine great food from LA's historic Farmers Market with eclectic evening concerts Thursdays and Fridays, May 29 - Aug. 29, 2014.
93. Grand Performances at California Plaza: At lunchtime on Fridays, hundreds of Angelenos put down their work and take a cultural break with a bit of fresh air and music. Additionally, Grand Performances presents an array of free performing arts events in the evenings — music, dance and theater — as multicultural as their audience, giving local talent a chance to shine. Jun. 13 - Sept. 13, 2014.
94. Ford Amphitheatre J.A.M. Sessions: Monday night J.A.M. Sessions (short for "Jazzed and Motivated") are part of an interactive series that encourage audiences to sing, dance and play along with professional musicians and other artists. The events take place most Mondays from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m., through Aug. 25.
95. Pershing Square Summer Concert Series: In the high-rise heart of Downtown is a palm tree oasis known as Pershing Square, where the summertime brings neighbors, tourists and professionals together for lunchtime concerts on Wednesdays, rock concerts on Thursday and Saturday nights, films on Friday nights and salsa music on Sunday nights. Jul. 10 - Aug. 18, 2014.
96. Wine & Jazz Summer Series: Celebrating its 11th year, this event series gives you a chance to hobnob with the coolest cats of jazz at Hollywood & Highland, while sampling the gifts of Bacchus and helping to end world hunger, all at the same time. Although it is a free event, wine tasting donations and light appetizers ($10) benefit Project Angel Food. The weekly Tuesday night series kicks off July 1 with Pete Escovedo Latin Jazz Orchestra.
97. Twilight Concerts at the Santa Monica Pier: This popular concert series is constantly reinventing itself, but count on a diverse line-up of talent including reggae, rock, indie pop, R&B and even a little '80s. The 2014 summer season starts on Jul. 11.
98. Levitt Pavilion Summer Music Festival: This family-friendly series is held throughout the summer in the heart of Pasadena and includes everything from jazz to Latin Pop to Jambo. Held at the Levitt Pavilion, 2014 dates TBD.
99. Summer music at the Hammer Museum: Summer nights are a great time to catch live acts performing at the Hammer Museum’s outdoor courtyard. In the past, bands such as Sea Wolf and Tokyo Police Club have played to a packed crowd. Shows feature a mix of KCRW DJs, jazz and special guests TBA. Dates have not been announced for 2014.
100. Saturdays Off the 405 at the Getty Center: The Getty Center courtyard comes alive with this popular series, which boasts incredible nighttime views of the city to go with the eclectic sounds. Grab a drink at the cash bar and then check out the musical guests. May 17 - Sept. 13, 2014.