Staying healthy and getting pretty shouldn't cost you, especially in LA. Check out all the free ways to maintain your health and beauty in Los Angeles.
44. Keeping up appearances: Sephora’s stores offer Express Service, a free, quick makeover. It’s a nice stop while you’re experiencing some of LA’s quintessential shopping malls, such as Glendale Galleria, the Beverly Center and Hollywood & Highland Center.
45. Neat market: The network of free farmers markets throughout Los Angeles has helped bring fresh-from-the-field produce to urban neighborhoods. One of the most popular is the famous original Los Angeles Farmers Market at Third and Fairfax. Other great markets include the Hollywood Farmers Market (Ivar and Selma Avenue), the Hermosa Beach Farmers Market (Valley Drive and 11th Street), the Studio City Farmers Market (Ventura Place and Laurel Canyon Boulevard) and the Santa Monica Farmers Market (Arizona Avenue and Second Street).
46. Start “stairing:” The hills of Los Angeles inspired early housing developers to connect streets via sets of stairs, which often led to now-defunct trolley car stops. An online search with keywords “Silver Lake Stairs” connects you to several online communities that share tips and locations of favorite climbs.
47. Get fit with Fido: The city of Los Angeles operates nine dog parks where your canine friends can roam off leash. These fenced areas within parks offer a variety of facilities for humans and animals.
48. Ramp it up: The city also operates 19 skate parks that are a haven for skateboarders seeking challenging terrain.
49. Build your beach body: Venice Beach is world famous for its funky folks, but it’s at least as well known for Muscle Beach, home to amateur and professional bodybuilders alike.
50. Night hike: For years, the Angeles Chapter of the Sierra Club has been leading guided hikes through the many trails of Griffith Park.
51. Learn to swim: At select facilities, the L.A. Department of Recreation and Parks offers Operation Splash, free summer swimming lessons sponsored by Kaiser Permanente.
52. Get self-centered: Sahaja Yoga Meditation Center in Tarzana offers free meditation classes. The free workshops and guided meditations are scheduled weekday evenings, Saturdays afternoons (in Spanish) and Sunday mornings. All levels are welcome.