The Music Center was originally dedicated on Sept. 27, 1964. Beginning in October 2014, The Music Center kicks off a celebration 50 years in the making. The highlight of the festivities is The Music Center 50th Anniversary Spectacular, an on-stage extravaganza taking place at 7 p.m. on Saturday, Dec. 6, 2014 at the iconic venue where it all began, the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion. This star-studded 90-minute show will honor The Music Center and highlight the accomplishments of the past 50 years with special performances and tributes that include:
- Glorya Kaufman Presents Dance at The Music Center and the LA Phil team up for the presentation of a new work choreographed by Justin Peck and commissioned by The Music Center. Performed live by LA Dance Project to music presented in a simulcast performance by the LA Phil conducted by Music Director Gustavo Dudamel, this world premiere performance will unite both Walt Disney Concert Hall and the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion in celebration.
- Mezzo-soprano Susan Graham will perform an aria as part of a special tribute to the LA Opera, introduced by actor Christoph Waltz, and including a video tribute from LA Opera Eli and Edythe Broad General Director, Plácido Domingo.
- Los Angeles Master Chorale Artistic Director Grant Gershon will conduct signature works performed by the Los Angeles Master Chorale as well as a unique collaborative performance of the banquet scene from Nixon in China with LA Opera.
- Highlights of musical theatre and drama produced by Center Theatre Group will fill the stage with song, dance and dramatic surprises.
- A special tribute to the 25 years that the Academy Awards were held on the stage of the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion and much more.
Don’t miss this once-in-a-lifetime stage show, honoring a half-century of extraordinary artistic accomplishments and contributions with unforgettable, unprecedented performances and special collaborations.
Following the performance, The Music Center’s most generous donors are invited to a black tie 50th Anniversary Celebration Dinner in a massive 120’x230’ tent on The Music Center Plaza, featuring a three-course meal prepared by Joachim Splichal’s Patina Catering. Guests of the glamorous gala celebration will be treated to more anniversary spectacle with a special surprise performance and dancing.