Los Angeles is now lined with oyster bars like they were palm trees, and restaurants are shipping in oysters from sea to shining sea. Angelenos have an oyster bar or restaurant serving oysters in nearly every neighborhood, with condiments, beverages, and menus catering to the local flavor. Aside from the sensation of privilege that an oyster happy hour bestows, it’s a titillating first taste - the ultimate culinary foreplay when getting to know a restaurant. Here are 10 of the best oyster happy hours in the greater Los Angeles area.
Los Angeles Magazine
Interviewed by Izumi Hasegawa
Actor Masi Oka is best known for his role as Hiro Nakamura in the TV series Heroes - fans still remember the comic book geek’s cry of “Yatta!” (meaning “I did it!” or “Great!” in Japanese). Oka currently stars as Dr. Max Bergman on Hawaii Five-0. A native of Tokyo, Oka moved to Los Angeles when he was six years old and considers himself an Angeleno.
One of Oka's favorite things to do in L.A. is go for a drive on Mulholland Drive: "We used to take Mulholland Drive to my elementary school, so it’s very nostalgic. I love it because you get to see the beauty of L.A.’s north and south sides. At night, it’s the most beautiful view you can get. Griffith Park and the Getty Museum are staples, but Mulholland Drive for me was always very romantic. Put the music on and drive around and go on a date." Read on for more of Masi Oka's favorite L.A. restaurants and activities.
Los Angeles Tourism
- Los Angeles ranked 7th place among the Top 25 Markets with an Occupancy rate of 77.5%, up +2.9% compared to the same period last year (75.3%).
- Los Angeles ADR was $139.24 and ranked 6th among the Top 25 Markets, up +2.3% compared to the same period last year ($136.15).
- Los Angeles RevPAR was $107.87 and ranked 7th among the Top 25 Markets, up +5.2% compared to the same period last year ($105.52).
- Rooms nights sold were 2.12 million countywide, reflecting a +3.9% increase over February 2013 (2.04 million room nights).
- The LAX area (86.3%) and Hollywood/West Hollywood (81.3%) both reported the highest Occupancy rate for the month.
- The LAX area (+12.4%) and Los Angeles East (+11.4%) reported the largest YOY RevPAR growth.