Los Angeles Tourism
- Los Angeles ranked 7th place among the Top 25 Markets with an Occupancy rate of 77.5%, up +2.9% compared to the same period last year (75.3%).
- Los Angeles ADR was $139.24 and ranked 6th among the Top 25 Markets, up +2.3% compared to the same period last year ($136.15).
- Los Angeles RevPAR was $107.87 and ranked 7th among the Top 25 Markets, up +5.2% compared to the same period last year ($105.52).
- Rooms nights sold were 2.12 million countywide, reflecting a +3.9% increase over February 2013 (2.04 million room nights).
- The LAX area (86.3%) and Hollywood/West Hollywood (81.3%) both reported the highest Occupancy rate for the month.
- The LAX area (+12.4%) and Los Angeles East (+11.4%) reported the largest YOY RevPAR growth.
Los Angeles Magazine
Interviewed by Izumi Hasegawa
Actor Masi Oka is best known for his role as Hiro Nakamura in the TV series Heroes - fans still remember the comic book geek’s cry of “Yatta!” (meaning “I did it!” or “Great!” in Japanese). Oka currently stars as Dr. Max Bergman on Hawaii Five-0. A native of Tokyo, Oka moved to Los Angeles when he was six years old and considers himself an Angeleno.
One of Oka's favorite things to do in L.A. is go for a drive on Mulholland Drive: "We used to take Mulholland Drive to my elementary school, so it’s very nostalgic. I love it because you get to see the beauty of L.A.’s north and south sides. At night, it’s the most beautiful view you can get. Griffith Park and the Getty Museum are staples, but Mulholland Drive for me was always very romantic. Put the music on and drive around and go on a date." Read on for more of Masi Oka's favorite L.A. restaurants and activities.
Century City originated as the backlot of 20th Century Fox. With the advent of television representing tough competition for the studio and a budget for the movie Cleopatra spiraling out of control, the studio sold portions of its backlot to Alcoa Inc. and William Zeckendorf with the option to lease 75 acres back.
Welton Becket - who designed landmarks such as the Capitol Records building, Santa Monica Civic Auditorium, and the Cinerama Dome - as well as other architects were hired to develop a masterplan for the brand new commercial and residential city-within-a-city, using aluminum for high rises. The city was designed with pedestrian bridges and wide boulevards to ease crowding. Today, Century City is a center of business and commerce in Los Angeles, so it can be easy to overlook the public places worth visiting. Read on and discover 10 hidden gems in Century City.
Discover Los Angeles
For those seeking masterpieces of art, Los Angeles is a must-see destination filled with cultural treasures from around the world. Many of these iconic works are unexpectedly in Los Angeles, from Van Gogh’s Irises and Diego Rivera’s Flower Day to The Thinker and The Blue Boy.
Discover Los Angeles
Los Angeles libraries are among the most renowned in the country, featuring incredibly rare editions, important historical archives, and unique collections found nowhere else. Browse these listings and begin your literary journey through some of L.A.’s best libraries.